Inside the Edison Studios
Historic Photos and Prints

Partial blueprint plan of Edison's New York studio (5th Avenue & 29th Street), October, 1928. Charles Edison's office and other adminstrative areas were to the right (not shown).
(Raymond Wile)

 

Interior of Columbia Street studio, West Orange, New Jersey, in 1914. The building
burned in December 1914 was rebuilt.
It was used primarily for experimental recording
and dubbing, with most regular sessions assigned to the New York studio.
(Edison National Historic Site)

 

A later view inside the rebuilt Columbia Street studio, showing acoustic dubbing apparatus
(note the Diamond Disc apparatus on the right). This was likely the equipment used in
dubbing Blue Amerol cylinders from discs. Occasional disc-to-disc acoustic dubbing
experiments were still being conducted as late as 1929.
(Edison National Historic Site)

 

Tenor John Young recording a cylinder in the early 1900s, showing the cramped conditions and other concessions necessitated by the acoustic recording process (note the horned Stroh
violins, needed to boost volume). Eugene Jaudas conducts the studio orchestra.
(Mainspring Press)

Tenor Jacques Urlus recording a disc at Edison's Fifth Avenue studio,
New York, in 1916. Cesare Sodero is the conductor.

(Edison National Historic Site)

 



Site © 2016 by MAINSPRING PRESS, LLC.
Additional content on this site is copyright as noted. All worldwide rights are reserved.

No portion of the material on this site may be reproduced, altered, or distributed in any form or by any means without the prior written consent
of the copyright holder(s). Unauthorized use constitutes a violation of federal and international laws and may result in legal action.

For permission to reproduce from any Mainspring Press online or print publication, e-mail the publisher.